Just recently I have found a special thing that calms you, makes you happy and develops your understanding of yourself and that is meditating. As a really young child I thought it was useless. It’s not, it’s even fun! I downloaded this app called Headspace. (not sponsored(duh))
Headspace is a free app, you can subscribe if you want, to unlock more sessions, which is useful for different situations like stressful conversations and even when taking the train etc. Enough about the app and onto the actual meditating.
When meditating, place yourself in a fairly quiet place where you won’t be disturbed. Sit on a chair or on the floor and close your eyes.
Firstly, you’ll need to clear your mind. Do this by purely focussing on your slow breathing. Another technique is to repeat a word or phrase (a mantra) to clear your mind a enter a deep meditative state. This is an optional step because often in a public place in can be awkward! I don’t do this for that reason.
Once you’re cleared and calm, start the mediation
- Start to breathe slowly and focus on your breathing
- Move your focus to every point of contact of your body (is that the right grammar?) i.e. hands on legs, feet on ground
- Take your focus back to your breathing
- Body Scan
- To do a body scan, focus on a body part/section
- Focus your entire mind on it
- Then relax that body part
- Next you should chose another part and repeat the steps
- Do wear comfortable clothes
- Do find a quiet spot where you won’t be disturbed (I’ve said it already but it’s very important!)
- Do meditate for as long as you want to but as soon as you’ve had enough, stop. But do try to meditate for at least 3 minutes.
- Don’t start without lightly stretching
- Don’t worry if you don’t feel the effect after the first time, practice makes perfect! *cringes at the cliché*
- Do enjoy yourself!
- Don’t rely on everything I say, I’m not a guru!
See you soon, I’m back again!
Love, Em Xxx