When I say this is my favourite coffee cake in the world, I mean it. You can add cocoa powder to the icing too, to make it more of a Mocha Cake. I would make this all the time if I could! Definitely very treaty though!
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 250g softened butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 250 plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder
For the Frosting
- 250g Icing Sugar
- 80g Butter
- 25ml milk
- Dark chocolate shavings
- Coffee beans
- Cocoa powder
A 25cm cake tin, greased and dusted with flour.
- To make a coffee essence, put the instant coffee and 170ml water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat. Boil until reduced by half then remove from heat and leave to cool. Set aside a tablespoon to use in the frosting.
- Preheat oven to 170°C
- Mix the butter, sugar and coffee essence with an electric mixer. Beat until all ingredients and fully incorporated. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well. Beat in flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and mix until combined and the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Pour mixture into the cake tin and smooth with a palette knife. Bake for 30/40 mins. Leave the cake to cool in the tin before turning out on to a cooling rack.
- Beat the icing sugar and butter in a bowl until well mixed. Slowly add the milk and all extra essence and continue beating until light and fluffy (at least 5 minutes).
- When the cake is cold, place on the serving plate and top with the frosting, cocoa powder, chocolate shavings, and coffee beans.
Lots of love,